Thursday, May 3, 2007
THE BUTTER WOULDN'T MELT SO I PUT IT IN THE HOT POCKET
I'm a great sucker for cheerful amateurism.
Primitive Radio Gods: Standing Outside a Broken Phone Booth with a Song Title That Makes for Easy, Invariably Awful Jokes
In case you needed any further evidence the '90s are back, some angry white man has a column in today's Wall Street Journal clucking about that foul specter, "political correctness." Daniel fox-in-the Henninger writes (reg. req'd):
"Some were brought down by it, and some have made a living from it. Today, there are people who even say that the satire on shows such as 'South Park' or the 'Daily Show' have made political correctness a harmless amusement. We have become so cool that we can simultaneously abide PC's merciless strictures against saying the wrong things about the right people even as we laugh at our subjugation to PC.
Despite the ironic mockery, political correctness still packs a punch. Say the wrong thing today and you can be gone tomorrow, your status as a top broadcaster, university president or politician obliterated. It happens in the small space of a sentence -- defrocked, banished, gonzo."
That's not what gonzo means! Henninger goes on to liken people getting pissed off at highly paid public figures saying fuckwit things to "burning witches"-- a comparison that certainly ought to be covered by Godwin's Law. I'm sure Henninger, as a white male and therefore someone who could potentially be called a "n***** guy," is sincerely concerned about this one disadvantage suffered by us white dudes: If you're wildly successful beyond your abilities but act like a moron, you might lose your easy, high-paying job. BOO. However, his reasoning is as dumb as a box of very small rocks.
It's hard to say, exactly, why Imus ever should've had a position of influence and power. But it's easy to see why he got fired: because he was acting like a douchebag, and because it's hard to say why he ever should've had a position of influence and power. If, for inst, Imus had had any real qualifications or special abilities to fall back on-- any unique redeeming qualities to offer the public-- perhaps he would've been spared. I mean,I didn't really care whether he lost his job or not, but either way some other talentless douchebag (or, novel idea: a talented, non-douchebag!) would be just as qualified to bloviate ignorantly about national affairs... So away Imus went. Yes, this could happen to other overpaid white guys. Eek!
Progressives need to start co-opting "political correctness"-- at this point an increasingly vague, invariably derogatory term-- and using it to describe the 21st-century PC police: all those who claim people who oppose the official White House foreign policy line (such as it is) are supporting the terrorists. The next time Joe Lieberman or Dick Cheney or The National Review or Brian Williams or Howard Kurtz calls patriotic Americans who disagree with them "traitors," the correct response is: "Take your 'political correctness' elsewhere, sir. Most Americans happen to agree with me on this. BTW, SUCK MY BALLS."
This dude totally doesn't watch Daily Show or South Park.
Oh I, M-B-V M-B-V M-B-V M-B-V M-B-V more M-B-V hi-fi.
Kraftwerk: Kometenmelodie 2
UPDATE: Jonathan Chait responds to the responders, and he and I agree: "My point is that the netroots have helped break down one epistemological prison but have created another. Neither the David Broder method of establishing truth nor the Markos Moulitsas method of establishing truth is very reliable. Yet the reflexive equivocators use the bloggers to justify their reflexive equivocation, and the bloggers use the reflexive equivocators to justify their reflexive partisanship. Alterman concludes that the netroots have made the country a better place, and my piece concurs."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Marc,
Found your blog on BrooklynVegan. I truly admire your unabashed method of blog journalism. (And your taste in amateur cheerfulness - I enjoyed that music video.) You're so right in that every American who goes against White House policy is flagged with a scarlet letter as a traitor.
Also arrived via BV. My two online interests are music sites (Pitchfork, BV) and liberal blogs, but they've always felt totally separate. Yours is the first crossover I've encountered. I've always assumed I was breaking a rule that being interested in one meant you couldn't be interested in the other. Or maybe I am and so are you.
As far as the netroots go, I think there's plenty to criticize but I don't see the point in it. I'd rather talk about the flaws of the people actually in power.
As far as the netroots go, I think there's plenty to criticize but I don't see the point in it. I'd rather talk about the flaws of the people actually in power.
Yeah, me too. Don't worry, I'm much more interested in pointing out the flaws of the White House et al., but I do think Jonathan Chait wrote a really compelling account of the positives (and the few negatives) of an organized, groupthinking liberal netroots. I agree the positives outweigh the negatives! But once we're back in power, we can't forget the negatives or we'll be as bad as the Bushies.
Post a Comment