Friday, March 14, 2008

HAVE YOU HEARD THE GOOD NEWS EVERYBODY IS A STAR

boomp3.com
Made up my mind the day I met ya into my life I had to get ya.
Rozetta Johnson: Mine Was Real (via Soulful!)

"The Britney Spears of car manufacturing." (quote source)

Other recent writings, of the non-p4k variety (possibly nsfw):
Hercules and Love Affair review
Stephen Malkmus review
Beach House review
Mountain Goats review


Now you're standing at the end of the hall/ Do you ever think of me at all/ Your V-neck sweater, your varsity letter/ Your chlorine eyes, and your freestyle records.
Barack Obama on hip-hop

Elsewhere:
- Lots of Factory vinyl rips (per S/FJ)
- The music industry's top 20 biggest screw-ups (via Barry Ritholtz)
- Needed: A woman to clean. Pets allowed, but no bling.
- The other day, they found it: The Sinbad connection.
- A million dollars missing. No whore angle, sorry. Although one hasn't been EXPLICITLY ruled out.
- A Place to Bury Strangers are loud?
- "Taking a cab" is the new "dying."
- "News and information is the new rock 'n' roll."

P.S. Prostitution-laced human drama is fascinating and all, but you remember we're still at war, right?

4 comments:

Matthew Perpetua said...

Awww, everyone is so off the mark re: Real Emotional Trash, it's really bumming me out. It's kinda the same thing that happened with Wilco and Sonic Youth -- calling really carefully composed, melodically brilliant instrumental passages "jams" is just so weird to me. The weirdest thing is that the actual flaws of RET are seldom mentioned, and the lyrical themes are consistently ignored or get the super-lazy "it's gibberish!" shrug-off. Here's a hint: It is not gibberish. I mean, the final third is some harrowing introspective stuff!

Marc Hogan said...

Well, if one considers the instrumental passages kind of a tough slog, couldn't that be a flaw? Whether they're composed or improvised seems irrelevant to me, as they definitely have a jam-like sound, and it's not as if a lot of "improvised" music doesn't have some element of premeditation, too.

The lyrics, I'd be interested in hearing more about. But then, you've probably posted something from this album on your blog that I should go back and revisit!

FWIW, I quite like the last Sonic Youth record. Yo La Tengo's I Am Not Afraid of You... could've been dismissed for the same reasons by some people, I think. The Wilco one has grown on me a bit, but I still think it falls halfway between the most negative reviews and the most lavish praise. Feels like we're coming up on the right season to give it some more time, though.

Matthew Perpetua said...

Ha, you know, when I wrote that, I was thinking about Murray Street, not Sonic Nurse or Rather Ripped, which are both fine but not nearly as amazing.

Marc Hogan said...

Yes, that makes more sense! Ha.

Fun to see the Andrew W.K. "McLaughlin Group" thing still going around, BTW.