Sunday, March 30, 2008

THE MOON CAME OUT, PRETENDING TO SHINE


I'm a soulja, but not like Soulja Boy.
Jonathan Richman: Egyptian Reggae (Live) (via No Age)

Juvenilia, or:
Fun With the Wayback Machine

(Part Three of A Potentially Recurring Series for When I'm Too Busy/Sleepy/Boring/Lazy/Vain/Ridiculous for to Write Much)

Pavement is a great, mostly unheralded indie rock group. I first heard about them through their close association with Blur, and their influence on Blur's self-titled album. They gained the most promincence a few years back when the song "Cut Your Hair" from the album Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain began to get airplay and even appeared on Beavis and Butthead. Since then, the band has continued to improve its style with the great album Brighten the Corners. I don't know what to say about these guys other than to tell you to go out and buy any one of their albums because they are an awesome band. To hear some of their stuff, follow the link on the bottom to hear Pavement in REAL AUDIO!


(me, 1997 or 1998)

Imagine someone who has somehow learned English only, innocently, in a Jonathan Richman accent.

It's not bad, 'cause it's weirdly passionate. Not "authentic," just real. And thumbing its nose?

No one to answer to but that jerk you might turn into next week without knowing it.

1 comment:

Marc Hogan said...

Thanks for the story!

Yeah, the first thing I ever (knowingly) heard from them was Brighten the Corners. I picked that album up not long after reading about Pavement in all the press for Blur's self-titled album (Blur were by far my favorite band at the time), and then worked my way backward. I don't think I knew who Geddy Lee was, or why his voice would've gotten so high (despite owning, if not any Rush, then at least by then two or three Dream Theater albums). I still loved Brighten the Corners right from the first song.

Re: "Cut Your Hair" (a good song, don't feel bad!). Kim Deal talks about it a bit in this Time Out New York interview (via S/FJ)