Sunday, April 22, 2007

BE A MUSIC CRITIC, GET POWER OVER WOMEN?


Yeah, I've made love, yeah, I've been fucked-- so what?
The Smiths: Reel Around the Fountain (1983; live at the Hacienda)

The majority of my mailbag lately has been surprisingly supportive, as I just noted. Not all of it, of course:

From: antony@[redacted]
To: marc@pitchforkmedia.com
Date: Apr 20, 2007 9:29 PM
Subject: from antony

dear marc

i felt compelled to write after reading your disgusting review of Cocorosie's new album. did you even read the credits? for your information, i do not appear anywhere on the album. But besides that, I am writing to urge you to retire from "journalism", you have no gifts as a writer. why not explore an interest that brings joy to yourself and those around you, instead of just stewing in the bile of your own resentments towards others? you are a parasite among artists. please, please retire. Is your goal to make people feel sick? perhaps writing that "review" lent you the illusion that you have power over others, over women, over artists. Perhaps you are lacking in empowerment in your own frustrated life.

I recommend that you start to do something new.

antony



From: marchogan[at g mail dot com]
To: antony@[redacted]
Date: Apr 21, 2007 7:48 PM
Subject: Re: from antony

Dear Antony,

Thank you so much for the thoughtful note. Are you seeking a correction? To be honest, I never received a copy of the credits, but several other reviews from reputable sources also indicate you appear on the track on "Miracle," though you would clearly know best.

Are you saying it's not you, or merely that your appearance was uncredited?

If my facts are indeed wrong and need to be corrected, of course I will ask my editors to make the fix as soon as possible.

Thanks again for reading the review and taking the time to write, and I hope all's well otherwise.

Best,
Marc



From: antony@[redacted]
To: marc@pitchforkmedia.com
Date: Apr 22, 2007 4:10 AM
Subject: fyi

Subject: from antony re: cocorosie review
Date: April 20, 2007 10:44:37 PM EDT

dear Ryan Schreiber

I am writing in regards to the very unpleasant review of Cocorosie's new album that was printed in yesterday's Pitchfork.

I was bitterly disappointed when I read it. It was filled with inaccuracies. For instance, I do not even appear on the record, and yet Hogan snidely referred to a guest appearance he somehow imagined I had made.

But It is an album I would have been proud to be a part of. Please assign writers who are open and receptive to understanding the work of America's more challenging young artists, instead of printing reviews that try to cover up their lack of comprehension with bad wit and cynical one-upmanship. We desperately need artists who will take risks and put their hearts forward in this cultural climate, now more than ever. Why would you print a review that only seeks to oppress performers who are among those taking some of the biggest and most generous risks?

Please assign writers with some sense of vision to review Cocorosies work in the future. Marc Hogan, a financial analyst (!!), is completely in the dark about Cocorosie; he cannot even fathom their intent or the usefulness, the generosity, and the deep originality of their work. I remember the Pitchfork review of their last album in which the writer even admitted that he was panning the album simply because he didnt understand it. Cocorosie are a brave pair of visionary young Americans who are pushing the dialogue forward. They are treasured by their peers, many of whom are artists that you have written about with respect, and by audiences around the world. We all read Pitchfork, and rely on it as an important outlet of information for independent artists. Please rise to the challenge and represent Cocorosie fairly, instead of publishing checklists of incomprehension that are tinged with misogynist resentment.

I did send an email that was a little hot under the collar to Marc Hogan, which should be laughed at and disregarded. I send this now to you now in all earnestness.

yours sincerely

Antony Hegarty




I've sent an e-mail to the label and am investigating the possible factual error. Does anyone have a straight answer on this?

For the record, I've never worked as a "financial analyst," only as a lumpen financial journalist. On the other hand, what's wrong with people having, like, jobs?

The Mercury Prize is £20,000, which currently converts to $40,086.19 in U.S. dollars.

UPDATE!!!: Touch and Go has identified the guest artist on "Miracle" as French beatboxer Spleen. A Medill F for me; it's certainly true I shouldn't have assumed something without official confirmation. Other publications getting it wrong first is no excuse.

I do take exception with the label calling me "lazy," though. Before I checked other publications to confirm my Antony hunch, I read Touch and Go's official album description. Sample quote: "The Adventures Of Ghosthorse & Stillborn is the 3rd ventricle of the CocoRosie liturgy." Gee, I'd really better get back to sifting through SEC filings...

Does that mean I'm one of those horrible people with "jobs"? Gross! Cooties! No valid opinions on pop music!

32 comments:

Steve said...

Dude, quit showin' off your ability to analyze finances. Quid can be traded for dollars? Not in my 'merica, pilgrim!

In our current cultural climate, the phrase "now more than ever" needs to be banished to the ashbin of ad copy. Post haste!

Dave Rawkblog said...

I enjoyed your Lucky Soul write-up today, man. Band needs more plugging.

Mike B. said...

I can't imagine how you missed the usefulness of a CD. That thing can really cut some bread! Cocorosie requests their compact discs be sharpened to a razor's edge so they might more effectively kill corporate America.

Oh wait.

Unknown said...

If the real Antony wrote a letter like that too me, I'd be second guessing my taste.

Anonymous said...

you are just jealous because antony is ten times the artist that you will ever be. you are sad and pathetic and that is why people listen to antony and cocorosie and not reading your website

Marc Hogan said...

the beautiful thing is i've never thought antony was much of an artist, dudes.

Passion of the Weiss said...

Nothing wrong with being a financial journalist. I did it for two years. Way more interesting than I thought it would be, but still quite boring. Solidarity.

Anonymous said...

haha

this is amazing. I think it's great you published this and I'm glad you wrote the review of cocorosie, one of the biggest scams out there. They are bad people in person, and make insincere soulless music.

Three cheers for you marc.

Mathy said...

Keep up the good work!

Your review has gotten a bunch of people to investigate a record (that even the most avid music fans would have probably ignored) and find their own position.

Thanks for getting folks taking.

Anonymous said...

Calling Cocorosie "brave artists" and stuff like that reminds me how Brett Favre is referred to by sportscasters as "a brave man, a great American, a true hero". Have they fought in some war/revolution that I don't know about?

Marc Hogan said...

As John Darnielle's BV-linked post implies, if you're not open to the possibility of a negative reception, how exactly is your music taking risks? Musical bravery sounds like nice work if you can get it. Unless you're The Bravery.

Raymie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Raymie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Raymie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Raymie said...

Marc,

I shouldn't know who you are, but unfortunately I do. I recently read your review of Chris Garneau's debut album. I'm hesitant to call it a review, as it read more like "Marc Hogan's Attempt at Standup." I hoped that was the last I would ever hear of you, but alas now this. Poor Chris's career is not the only one you're trying to sabotoge. I honestly thought before you came on the Pitchfork bandwagon, that it was a sensitive and balanced source for musical journalism. You, however have put that into serious question for me. Reviews shouldn't be all about you Marc. Nor should they be a stage for you to revel in your own marginal humor. Pitchfork needs a 101 class and you need to take it.

Well, straight to the point Marc, I think you're pathetic for taking aim at artists whose music isn't literal enough for you. Oh Marc, you are merely a head on a dragon, and once you get lopped off, another will replace you. I understand the futility in it all. But the futility isn't enough to stop me from wanting you to know how much you suck. That's all. Pure and simple. You suck because you're mean. You suck because you're insensitive. But most of all you suck because you know shit about music. But hell, lots of people are employed in the wrong places! Look at our President. Marc, here's to your career taking a sharp turn for the worst and you reaping some of the negativity you sow. Your catty correspondence with Antony, your disdain for Cocorosie, and your gross and unsympathetic review of Chris Garneau has quite uncovered you for the thoughtless journalist you really are. You are not funny. You are not talented. You are pathetic. So. That said. Three pieces of advice for you Marc Hogan.

1. Quit pissing on artists whose vision and scope outfathom your own.
2. Go back to finance.
3. Take your pitchfork and shove it up your ass.

Marc Hogan said...

Yeah, but have you *heard* that Chris Garneau record?

Anonymous said...

Right on Raymie!

Anonymous said...

I am a professional musician and writer. I do not work in finance. I have no public (and unrelated) opinions I would like to interject about the American President in my comments. Instead, simply put, I would like to say that the above-referenced album is uninspired, poorly assembled, and worthy of criticism. Get over it. Not everything is a master piece.

Anonymous said...

Other publications getting it wrong first is no excuse.

Then why mention it?

I'm not "in the scene". I've never heard of Pitchfork, but I do dig the new Cocorosie album. To each his own I guess.

Unknown said...

You people need to see this for what is... a music review. This should in no way whatsoever affect your opinion of the artist. If you like the album, continue listening and supporting the artist, regardless of what the review says. The review is only there to spark interest, you can either come to enjoy the album or despise. Unfortunately, this was the case for Marc. But regardless, one mans views shouldn't affect your overall opinions and thoughts on the artist, so I think you all should just move on and stop dwelling on this insignificant matter. If an artist isn't strong enough to take criticism, then they shouldn't be artists.

Marc Hogan said...

One more time for the record, I *don't* and never have worked in finance (and I'm not sure what would be wrong with it if I had). I am a journalist and wrote for BusinessWeek for a year before I could pay enough bills with music writing to strike out as a freelancer.

Other publications getting it wrong first is no excuse.

Then why mention it?


Assuming this question is mostly snark, but I mentioned it because it came up earlier in the post, in my response to Antony's first missive. That said, there's a difference between saying, for example, "Ignorance of the law is no excuse," and actually using ignorance of the law as an excuse.

Anonymous said...

Have we learned our lessons from this episode:

1) It's probably never wise to start a blog war of words that merely reminds a wider audience that Pitchfork thinks you suck.

2) Journalists and their editors must check their facts.

3) Journalists who make mistakes must correct them without taking exception to the criticism of those they've reported on incorrectly. Marc, you don't get to say "whoops! Sorry! I messed up, but, hey, I'm not LAZY!" You made basic, lazy error. Say sorry and shut the fuck up.

4) Pitchfork is not journalism.

5) Pitchfork is fun to read.

6) All music reviewers became obsolete with the advent of Beavis and Butthead.

Marc Hogan said...

Marc, you don't get to say "whoops! Sorry! I messed up, but, hey, I'm not LAZY!" You made basic, lazy error. Say sorry and shut the fuck up.

Fair point, and the only reason I decided not to was because this is a personal blog, where I say many things I wouldn't say in other venues (i.e., name-calling public figures). It still definitely would have been more responsible to have taken your advice.

Anonymous said...

Marc Hogan is the Bill O'Reilly of music journalism, but during his Inside Edition days.

Marc Hogan said...

Marc Hogan is the Bill O'Reilly of music journalism

Bill O'Reilly's computer keyboard, if he even owns one, probably isn't missing keys.

One thing we do have in common: When we're at work, no one can tell whether we're wearing pants.

Anonymous said...

It doesn't matter if Antony thinks that CocoRosie are stunning and, by his accounting, above criticism. If you don't like something, you have the right to say so. I write for Brainwashed.com and I as well my colleagues have published plenty of negative reviews, as is our prerogative and perhaps even our duty.

I'd stand with you in solidarity, but you seem like the type of guy who doesn't need the support. Keep on truckin'.

Ian said...

Every time an artist like Antony acts this way, my respect for them plunges; and my respect for musicians as a whole takes a hit too. Gary and John Barnielle are on the right track.

I may not read Pitchfork, Marc, but you have my sympathies regardless. This isn't quite bullshit of the magnitude of the comments on J. Edward Keyes' Taylor Hicks review, but it ain't far off - Antony just has more of a pedigree.

Anonymous said...

Ah poor light on all involved... just more music under the setting sun, Antony comes off as miffed, and Hulk Hogan comes off as another soon to be forgotten critic, really! Real! problems! HUNGER/
HATRED/WAR\RACISM/SEXISM/CLASSISM/

Music makes me high?

SUPPORT!

Where have all the flowers gone?

I miss RAP!

Anonymous said...

Wait, what?

Anger over angry letters over music reviews? If somebody slashed somebody's tires, ok, but c'mon.

Everybody: back away from your computers and go listen to some music you like, whatever it might be.

And Pitchfork is Pitchfork. I remember when they gave Sonic Youth's NYC Ghosts and Flowers a
-4.6 or something, and yet SY is playing at their fest, now.

Tristan M said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tristan M said...

I really don't like Antony now.

Anonymous said...

i think you all have to do some things on there own? don´t ya? ;)